The compulsory age for home-school education in Pennsylvania is 6 to 18 years. A child who turns 6 years old by September 1 must be enrolled in a public, private, charter, or home-school program.
Required Documentation for Home Education
1) A child’s parent or guardian must file a notarized affidavit, along with education objectives and required immunization and health records with supporting documents, to: Penn Manor School District Superintendent’s Office, Attn: Cindy Rhoades, P.O. Box 1001, Millersville, PA 17551.
You can contact Cindy by phone at 717-872-9500 ext. 2223, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) In addition to the notarized affidavit, the following attachments must be included:
- Educational objectives for each subject for each student.
- Evidence of immunization (records or a letter from physician) or religious exemption.
- Health/Medical services records or a letter from physician or religious exemption (upon initial entrance, Grades 6 and 11).
- Dental services or religious exemption (upon initial entrance, Grades 3 and 7).
- Evidence that the supervisor possesses a high school diploma or equivalent (must be submitted only when initially enrolling into the Home Education Program).
3) It is required that home-schooled children with a disability have the proposed education program reviewed and approved by a clinical psychologist or a certified special education teacher prior to submitting the objectives.
NOTE: Copies of an affidavit are available and can be notarized, free of charge, if parent/guardian makes an appointment to meet with Cindy Rhoades to submit paperwork.
August 1 – Notarized affidavit with appropriate paperwork for current home-school students.
June 30 – Evaluation of education program from licensed or certified evaluator submitted to the school district.
New students moving into the Penn Manor School District and students currently being educated in a Penn Manor school or in a private or charter school, may register for homeschooling at any time during the school year.
PA Dept of Education – Home Education Information