Guidelines, Manual, and Policies
The Penn Manor School District welcomes and values volunteer participation in our schools. To ensure the safety of our students, volunteers must comply with the School Board Policies, see below. The policy established requirements and procedures to confirm that school volunteers are in compliance with the provisions of Act 153 of 2014, which amended the PA Child Protective Services Law. The law requires unpaid volunteers who will have direct contact with children to obtain background clearances before commencing services as a volunteer.
2017-18 Volunteer Manual
Should you have any questions, please contact the building principal or the Director of Human Resources at 717.872.9500, extension 2247.
Application and Approval Process
The process for registering as a volunteer is as follows:
- Volunteer returns completed forms (Part 1).
- Volunteer completes and obtains required clearances and record checks (Part 2).
- Volunteer returns all fully completed forms and clearances to Building Secretary or District Office.
- Building Principal reviews forms and signs off on volunteer application.
- Human Resources provides final review and will notify the volunteer via email.
Part 1 – Required Forms
Part 2 – Required Clearances and Record Checks
Pennsylvania requires that all current school volunteers obtain the following clearances. There is no charge for any clearances, except for the FBI Criminal Background Check ($27):
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
- FBI Criminal Background Check (if you have lived in Pennsylvania for less than the past 10 years).
- Exemption form from FBI Background Check (if you have lived in Pennsylvania within the past 10 years)
- Completed Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification Form (PDE 6004)
Instructions for Completing Clearances
- State Police Criminal Records Check (no fee)
Applicants can access the website epatch.state.pa.us or apply by mail at: PA State Police Central Repository – RCPU, 1800 Elmerton Ave., Harrisburg PA 17110-9758.
When applying on the website, click the yellow box labeled new record check. A record check details response status screen will appear. Please select and print the Certification Form.
- Child Abuse Clearance (no fee)
Applicants can access the website www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS.
Creating an account and submitting a clearance application online will provide access to the results or the status of the request if results cannot be processed immediately.
A paper application can be submitted by using this form: Child Abuse History Certification final. Instructions are on the last page of the form.
Results will be mailed within 14 days of receipt of the application.
For more information, contact the ChildLine Verification Unit at 717.783.6211 or toll free at 1.877.371.5422.
FBI Fingerprinting Clearance Notice for Volunteers-NEW CHANGE
- FBI Criminal Background Check ($27 fee)
This must be completed ONLY if you have not lived in Pennsylvania for the past 10 years or longer.
Part 3 – Volunteer Submits All Forms, Clearances, and Record Checks
For additional questions, contact Theresa K. Chiodi, Director of Human Resources, 717.872.9500, extension 2247; firstname.lastname@example.org, or Beth Shenenberger, Human Resources Assistant, 717-872-9500, Ext. 2231; email@example.com.