Recent Penn Manor High School graduate Victoria Herr has been named FFA State Secretary for 2014-15 and will join six other FFA officers statewide to represent the organization at events across Pennsylvania.
Herr, who graduated June 3, was chosen as secretary during the State FFA Activities Week and Convention, held June 10-12 in State College, where other members of Manor FFA also were honored.
Two teams of Penn Manor students placed first in statewide competitions at the convention, and one placed second. Several other students won regional awards.
Herr’s appointment marks the first time in nearly a decade that a Penn Manor student or graduate has achieved such an honor. She will delay the start of her college studies to serve as secretary during the ’14-15 year.
Here are other highlights from the state convention:
- The Manor FFA team of Joel Burkholder, Sammy Bleacher, Katey Bleacher and Emily Witmer placed first in the Meats Evaluation competition and will represent Pennsylvania at the National FFA Convention and Expo in October in Kentucky.
- The team of Nathan Phan, Shyanne Murray, Neve Consylman and Rose Drumm placed first in Milk Quality and Products and will represent Pennsylvania at the National FFA Convention and Expo in October in Kentucky.
- The team of Wesley Herr, Kayla McLain, Will Herr and Evan Ressler placed second in Poultry Evaluation and will represent Pennsylvania at the Big E Exposition in Massachusetts in September.
- Victoria Herr was named state proficiency award winner in Swine Production and is now in the running for a national award.
- The Manor FFA chapter was named one of the top 15 chapters of the early 160 chapters in Pennsylvania and is now in the running for national recognition.
Congratulations, all, for representing Penn Manor so well!