Guidelines, Manual, and Policies
The Penn Manor School District welcomes and values volunteer participation in our schools. To ensure the safety of our students, volunteers must comply with the School Volunteers Policy: 916. The policy established requirements and procedures to confirm that school volunteers are in compliance with the provisions of Act 153 of 2014, which amended the PA Child Protective Services Law. The law requires unpaid volunteers who will have direct contact with children to obtain background clearances before commencing services as a volunteer.
Expectations and Guidelines for Volunteering
Volunteer Manual 2016-17
Should you have any questions, please contact the building principal or the Director of Human Resources at 717.872.9500, extension 2247.
Application and Approval Process
The process for registering as a volunteer is as follows:
- Volunteer expresses interest in wanting to volunteer. Forms are available at the District Office, school building, and online.
- Volunteer returns completed forms to the building secretary or District Office. Electronic copies will be accepted. Forms will only be accepted from the volunteer if fully complete. If dropped off at the school, the building secretary will review volunteer checklist and volunteer packet for completion with the volunteer.
- School building staff reviews forms and signs off on volunteer application. Human Resources will then review the forms.
- Human Resources will notify the volunteer via email indicating that they have been approved or denied as a volunteer.
Four forms are required and must be included with clearances:
Required Clearances and Record Checks
Pennsylvania requires that all current school volunteers obtain the following clearances. There is no charge for any clearances, except for the FBI Criminal Background Check ($27):
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
- FBI Criminal Background Check (if you have lived in Pennsylvania for less than the past 10 years).
- Exemption form from FBI Background Check (if you have lived in Pennsylvania within the past 10 years)
- Completed Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification Form (PDE 6004)
Instructions for Completing Clearances
- State Police Criminal Records Check (no fee)
Applicants can access the website epatch.state.pa.us or apply by mail at: PA State Police Central Repository – RCPU, 1800 Elmerton Ave., Harrisburg PA 17110-9758.
When applying on the website, click the yellow box labeled new record check. A record check details response status screen will appear. Please select and print the Certification Form.
- Child Abuse Clearance (no fee)
Applicants can access the website www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS.
Creating an account and submitting a clearance application online will provide access to the results or the status of the request if results cannot be processed immediately.
A paper application can be submitted by using this form: Child Abuse History Certification final. Instructions are on the last page of the form.
Results will be mailed within 14 days of receipt of the application.
For more information, contact the ChildLine Verification Unit at 717.783.6211 or toll free at 1.877.371.5422.
- FBI Criminal Background Check ($27 fee)
This must be completed ONLY if you have not lived in Pennsylvania for the past 10 years or longer. Applicants must register at www.pa.cogentid.com and click on the Dept. of Education icon or by calling 1.888.439.2486. Applicants will be fingerprinted at an approved center and share their fingerprint confirmation number with the Penn Manor Human Resources Department.
Here’s where to go for fingerprinting: Local fingerprinting locations.
- Affidavit for Exemption from FBI Clearance (no fee)
Volunteers who have not submitted to the FBI clearance must complete and submit this form, with the exception of one-time volunteers: PMSD Volunteer Affidavit.
- Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification Form (no fee)
All volunteers must complete and submit this form. Arrest or Conviction form PDE Form 6004.
For additional questions or more information regarding volunteer clearances, contact Theresa K. Chiodi, Director of Human Resources, 717.872.9500, extension 2247; Theresa.email@example.com